International Instrumentation Company
Circa £60k for up to 6 days per month
My client manufactures electronic instruments to enable engineering and research teams to test cars. Their customers are predominantly international and include engineering departments of Ford, General Motors, Jaguar Land Rover, BMW, Mercedes, and Volvo. They have a staff of around 75 people and a very healthy order book and plans to double in size over the next five years.
This is a private company and the two founder/owners are members of the Board, one of whom is the current chairman.
The Chairman will be responsible for the activities and performance of the Board, will organise and chair its meetings and general meetings of shareholders. She/he will ensure that the Board’s composition and development keeps pace with the growth of the company and act as line manager to the managing director and non-executive directors.
The Chairman will lead the remuneration committee, keeping clear, traceable records of all decisions. Governance and shareholder relations will also be within the remit of the successful candidate.
This is a hands-on role requiring someone willing to become deeply involved in the future of the company, hence the time commitment is significant. It is therefore preferable that you live within easy reach of North Oxfordshire. You are likely to already be the chairman of a high-tech company, preferably in electronics. Evidence of leading significant company growth is essential. Being competent in the use of MS Office applications is expected.
To play your part in the future of this business, please send a CV including details of current remuneration to me at email@example.com.
Closing date: 10th May 2019
Cheminformatics and Information Systems – Senior Technical Specialist
This start up is a spin-out company from the University of Oxford. It will work on a novel approach for the discovery of next generation Agritech products.
The suitable candidate will report to the CTO and provide leadership for establishing the chemoinformatics and IT strategy for the company. The primary objectives will be scientific and technical in nature, aimed at delivering a robust IT platform offering significant long-term value. A thorough understanding of commercial R&D processes and how best to leverage the company’s data asset most effectively will be essential.
Key scientific and technical accountabilities
• This is an early-stage company without cumbersome legacy systems, hence offers highly talented individuals the opportunity to identify, purchase, design and implement R&D IT systems and platforms from the ground-up.
• Responsible for hit discovery and optimization through diversity analysis, compound library design for HTS and HCS campaigns, hit triage & expansion and virtual screening.
• Guide and provide hands-on protein and small-molecule computational support.
• Evaluate and implement AI-based technologies in R&D, such as machine-learning platforms for virtual screening, molecular-property and ligand-protein recognition predictions.
• Establish external collaborations and/or in-license technologies and serve as a computational science representative to external collaborators.
Education & experience
• Ph.D. in Computational Chemistry, Chemoinformatics or related fields with industrial experience at an agrochemical, pharmaceutical or biotechnology company.
• Expert in cheminformatics, including compound databases, molecular descriptors, compound clustering, machine learning, and statistical approaches to assess biological activity.
• Highly skilled in data mining and visualization, detecting trend and novel insights from noisy data. A comprehensive understanding of ligand and structure-based design, conformational analysis, and pharmacophore development.
• Programming and database management experience with the ability to quickly learn and evaluate new software and modify or trouble-shoot existing tools.
• Enthusiastic about establishing information systems and platforms for a high-tech and fast-moving company
• Passionate about discovering and bringing to market novel agriproducts
• Possesses an enquiring mind and facilitates and encourages scientific debate
• Proactive, self-starter – resourceful, resilient, determined – a confident problem solver
• Work flexibly as part of an early stage R&D Team, demonstrating a ‘hands-on’ approach to helping establish the company and a strong work ethics.
• The company is in a rapid growth trajectory and require highly motivated individuals who can evolve with the needs of the business.
Position type: Permanent full-time or part-time